Position: Content Specialist
Reports to: Content Director
Location: Remote, US-based preferred
Salary: $75,000-$90,000, exempt, Full time, Exempt
We look forward to receiving your application as soon as possible, as we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply for this position is February 24, 2023.
Who we are
Narratives shape who we are, what we value, and what we aspire to become. Our current dominant narratives sustain patterns of inequity and harm, and reflect the worldview of a few powerful actors. We believe better narratives can extend power to those with the most at stake, and nurture a shared vision for common good.
At Narrative Initiative (NI), we believe that narrative is a form of power. We equip social justice leaders with the knowledge, resources, and skills necessary to harness narrative power and create durable social change.
Our team is small, mighty, and multidisciplinary, and our approach to narrative change centers organizing. We build relationships among organizations and constituents to cultivate alignment and broaden their impact.
The Content team has three goals:
1.) To equip narrative practitioners with the resources (articles, interviews, roundtables, toolkits, case studies) needed to bring narrative into their organizing;
2.) to extend the reach of NI’s research and thought leadership throughout the narrative field;
3.) To produce content that is engaging, thoughtful, and interesting to organizers and narrative strategists.
The Content Specialist will generate content strategies that build our audiences and broaden the reach of our thought leadership. They will also produce a broad range of content and bring expertise in copyediting, community management, and analytics tools.
What you do
- Write, copyedit, and proofread content and external communications
- Developing platform-specific content strategies to effectively reach the desired target audience goals
- Bring expertise on community management, SEO strategy, and Google analytics
- Creating content for a variety of platforms including blogs, newsletters/emails, websites, video, and social media
- Proofreading and editing content before publishing
- Provide insights on our content strategy that are data-driven as well as qualitative
- Conduct A/B testing and audience segmentation tests with particular content pieces
- Produce content and manage community for copy-heavy social platforms (i.e. LinkedIn, Medium)
- Write, copyedit, and proofread narrative research reports, reading lists, and toolkits
Who you are
- You are an exceptional writer with 5+ years experience producing content that adheres to brand and style guides
- You have been a community manager or digital content manager and can bring that lens to our content
- You can produce copy fluently in different voices for different platforms and audiences
- You have deep experience creating content strategies that amplify engagement and incorporate SEO strategies, expertise in Google analytics, and knowledge of platform-specific tactics for engaging audiences
- You bring a collaborative, thoughtful, and detail-oriented approach to your work
- You can give and receive constructive feedback with tact and grace
- You are adept at anticipating needs and are highly organized
- You want our team to succeed and grow and enthusiastically support colleagues of different levels of experience and perspectives on content production
- You are self-directed, organized and capable of managing competing priorities without letting things fall through the cracks.
- You have a sustained commitment to social justice and an interest in organizing and progressive social movements. This can include volunteer experience.
- You have a track record of successfully working across lines of personal difference, such as race, ability, immigration status, ethnicity, language, socioeconomic class, gender, sexual orientation, and other types of identities and experiences.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus, but not a requirement
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
How to Apply
To apply, please click on this link where you will provide:
- Cover letter that includes how you heard about the role
- 3 different writing samples that speak to the breadth of your capacity to write content. (i.e. article/blog post, video script/social content, report or more long-form piece)
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and we encourage anyone who is interested to apply ASAP and no later than the priority application deadline of February 24, 2023 by midnight ET.
While the hiring process may be subject to change, we are currently anticipating a hiring process that will consist of up to two rounds of interviews. The application process may also include one skills-based exercise. If we ask you to take a skills test, you will be compensated for the time you spend on it.
Interviews will be offered on a rolling basis starting in mid to late-February. We are hoping to make an offer in late April with a start date as soon as possible.
This is a full-time, exempt role with an annual salary of $75,000-$90,000. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health insurance (including HSA reimbursement for in-network deductibles), dental, and vision insurance for employees, their spouses and dependents, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation, $75/month fitness and cell phone benefits, and paid time off including thirteen paid holidays, four weeks of vacation, two weeks of personal leave, and 20 hours volunteer time off.
Narrative Initiative is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Policy & Leave
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. However at this time, Narrative Initiative does not require any staff to attend in-person events.
To ease the personal burdens on staff associated with COVID-19 and do our part to proactively protect public health, effective January 1, 2023, NVF will provide up to 80 hours of fully paid leave. You may be asked to provide additional documentation from a medical provider.
Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.