Assistant Editor, Word Force
APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED FOR THIS POSITION
Position: Assistant Editor, Word Force
Reports to: Managing Editor, Word Force
Location: Remote, US based preferred
Salary: $67,000, non-exempt
Who We Are
Narrative Initiative weaves the power of narrative with other social justice strategies to achieve long term equity. We maximize opportunities to nourish and grow narrative power, equip narrative changemakers, and bond communities to pursue long-term progress for social justice. We engage the trees to serve the forest, working with community leaders who are committed to meeting the moment with an eye towards a bigger vision for durable social and racial justice created by bonding our communities and linking our fates.
We believe people have the right to shape the narratives that impact our lives. We believe that serving the collective good and transforming exclusionary narratives requires authentic listening, two-way communications, and respect for many voices, perspectives and experiences. We believe in building collective strength by sharing resources, knowledge, and power. We believe that narrative, when combined with organizing and action, will shift political, cultural, and economic power relations to improve our lives and help our communities thrive.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor provides overall operations and strategy support for Word Force, a program of Narrative Initiative. Word Force provides ghostwriting services and narrative alignment support to grassroots racial justice, immigrant rights, economic and social justice leaders across the United States. Our changemaker organizations reflect the communities they represent in their fight for social justice. The Assistant Editor will produce and manage content production for changemaker organizations, help build and track impact assessment and work with our team to expand the Word Force program. The ideal candidate will bring strong analysis, experience writing and editing in journalism or other mediums, as well as excellent project coordination skills.
What You Do
Strategy & Evaluation
- Assist in the planning and execution of the Word Force program alongside the Managing Editor to ensure the Word Force program fulfills its obligations to member organizations and meets its goals.
- Collaborate across Narrative Initiative program beams to advance narrative change by expanding the pool of narrative practitioners in racial justice, immigrant rights, economic and environmental justice movements.
- Conduct editorial strategy intakes and monthly strategy strategy sessions with changemakers.
- Communicate with freelance writers and editors to fulfill Word Force engagements.
- Work with the team to develop trainings, resources and tools to increase our changemaker’s ability to produce content and narrative strategy.
- Create and edit content for Word Force changemakers including Twitter threads, Instagram reels, letters to the editor, op-eds and more.
Research & Support
- Engage in monitoring and listening across news outlets and social media to identify opportunities for Word Force changemaker organizations.
- Conduct background research for content creation and help identify outlets for Word Force content placement.
Who You Are
- A storyteller with passion for, and experience working with, frontline communities working toward justice who brings strong strategic communications and familiarity with narrative work.
- Solid writing and editing skills with the ability to quickly synthesize information and communicate it back out to multiple audiences – changemaker organizations, staff, freelancers and movement partners. Knowledge and experience with graphic design for social media.
- Have excellent organization, schedule management and the ability to manage and track multiple projects, work with partners, and make adjustments as needed.
- Ability to work independently and with strong initiative and creativity.
- Proficiency in Mac interfaces, Google Suite, Zoom, Slack and confidence with technological platforms and innovations.
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Narrative Initiative is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.